24 May 2023
We are inviting emerging business leaders in Aotearoa to participate in a funded study tour to China with a focus on the diverse services sector. The participants will visit China-based representatives of NZ Inc., and local and New Zealand companies and organisations in Beijing, Shanghai, and Suzhou, including in key subsectors such as tourism, international and tertiary education, film and TV production, social media and technology, advertising, and design.
The aim of the study tour is to expose participants to the incredible pace, depth and demand in China for services, and to support emerging leaders – for whom such opportunities are usually out of reach – to develop their skills and relationships in-market. The tour will provide opportunities for potential collaborations, learning, and network creation.
The services sector is broad and diverse, encompassing education, tourism, as well as a range of subsectors including film and media productions; creative and design services; logistics; sports and fitness; and many others. The New Zealand China Council’s report on NZ-China services trade (sponsored and co-launched by North Asia CAPE) shined a spotlight on this broad and fast-growing sector. This study tour further supports New Zealand’s growing services sector, which leverages the innovation found among our SMEs to build commercial opportunities that can benefit from lower friction, lower emissions, and being more scalable and resilient than traditional industries.
The study tour will take place from 5 – 13 August 2023. Participants will be required to attend all sessions throughout this period as well as reflect on lessons learnt. Travel, accommodation, and programme costs will be covered by North Asia CAPE, with the exception of meals and incidentals.
Applicants are required to apply online and submit a brief video explaining their interest in participating. Two workshops will be held prior to the study tour run by the North Asia CAPE and partners.
Applicants will also be required to pay for and secure a visa to visit China, further details here.
– New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
– Available for travel from 5 to 13 August 2023
– Commitment to attend four hours of pre-departure orientation and workshops
– Worked in the services sector for over two years and currently employed in the industry (preference given to those working in tourism, international education, film and media production, creative and design, and sports and fitness)
– Preference will be given to emerging leaders (those still in a developing stage of their career and likely in their mid-20s to late-30s)
– Arrange own travel insurance for the entire duration of the tour
– Agree to the terms and conditions
Applicants will need to include a link to a YouTube video of under 90 seconds detailing the following:
1. What ideas/contribution will you bring to the tour?
2. What is your motivation for being part of the tour?
3. What are the outcomes you are hoping to achieve?
4. How are you hoping to give back to your community/apply what you have learned?
The application is now closed.
Have any questions? Please email [email protected]