About the programme
We are committed to helping New Zealanders increase their understanding, knowledge of and connection with the Latin American region. Our Puertas Abiertas Programme 2023 is now open for applicants. Here, we’re offering up to 10 tertiary students currently studying Spanish the opportunity to participate in the Puertas Abiertas Spanish language immersion programme in Chile.
In this programme, you’ll be immersed in Spanish for the duration of your stay in Chile and meet like-minded individuals who are also passionate about the language. The programme consists of lessons on topics such as government and politics, international relations, diverse societies, and Indigenous knowledge/peoples. There will also be business, cultural, and educational visits that will increase your knowledge and understanding of Chile and Chilean society, including in the context of Latin America and the Asia-Pacific region. Throughout your time in Chile, you will improve your Spanish language skills as well as your confidence through various activities – helping you open more doors, and allowing you to learn about and communicate with people in Chile and the region.
This programme is fully funded and will take place from 10 – 23 November 2023.
To be eligible for the programme, you must:
• Be enrolled in a 200-level or above Spanish course at a New Zealand University in semester 2 of 2023 OR have passed 300-level Spanish in the last year
• Have a minimum level of B2 Spanish, as the entire programme will be in Spanish
• Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
• Be available for the duration of the programme from 10-23 November 2023
• Hold a current passport valid for international travel (NB: Your passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months after the programme travel dates)
What is covered by the programme?
Selected applicants will be provided with the following at no cost for their full participation in the programme:
• All domestic and international travel and relevant ground transport (when domestic flights are required in New Zealand, members will be responsible for getting themselves to their local airport and back home from the local airport)
• Hotel Accommodation (generally twin-share)
• Travel insurance, vaccination, and visa costs if applicable
• All in-activity expenses, including meals
What you’ll gain from participating in Puertas Abiertas
In this programme students:
• recognise the value of continuing to study Spanish
• connect their passion of learning Spanish with their future career and life pathway
• increase their knowledge and understanding of Latin America (including its importance to New Zealand)
• increase their language competence and cultural knowledge
• network with other students studying Spanish